As we start thinking about the holidays and winter season, many Fredericksburg area sellers are holding off on listing their home, waiting for the spring “selling season” to put their home on the market. But if you’re ready to sell your home now, is waiting until spring the best strategy? The answer is, it depends. Here are ten different reasons why selling during the winter months might just pay off!
1. People who look for a home during the Holidays are more serious buyers.
2. Serious buyers have fewer houses to choose from during the Holidays and less competition means a higher sales price.
3. Since the supply of listings will dramatically increase in January, there will be less demand for your particular home! Less demand means less money for you.
4. Houses show better when decorated for the Holidays! (Tinkly lights add an extra oomph to the “homey” feeling.)
5. Buyers are more emotional during the Holidays, so they are more likely to pay your price.
6. Buyers have more time to look for a home during the Holidays than they do during a working week!
7. Some people must buy before the end of the year for tax reasons!
8. January is traditionally the month for employees to begin new jobs. Since transferees cannot wait until Spring to buy, you must be on the market now to capture that market.
9. You can still be on the market, but you have the option to restrict showings during the six or seven days during the Holidays!
10. By selling now, you may have an opportunity to be a non-contingent buyer during the Spring, when many more houses are on the market for less money! This will allow you to sell high and buy low.
Winter can be boring in comparison to the other seasons. As people have more time on their hands, shopping for another home can become a priority. Generally, more sellers take their homes off the market during winter months and re-list in the Spring. Basic economics principles tell us that less supply will generate a higher price for your home.
Bottom line is that every home is unique and we cannot generalize when is the right time to sell. It is important to seek out a solid realtor adviser to analyze the best time for you to sell your home.
Thinking of moving?
Let's put together a plan, together.Contact Us